Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Vintage Wednesday.



Here we are (or here I am, since it seems to be me and the crickets so far), the first vintage Wednesday. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, because it was another rainy day and quite dark in my house and I am dumb because I haven't invested in a tripod yet.

To the point, ever since I was a child, my mom and I have shopped at local thrift stores. It was never an embarrassment to me; I enjoyed the "one person's trash, another's treasure" element - the chance that you might find something really, really awesome if you took the time to look. I'd say more than half of my current wardrobe hails from thrift stores and secondhand shops. 
Beyond clothes, my newly redesigned bedroom incorporates a majority of vintage/retro/antique items. Wait, wait, total photo op! For example, here is my fabulous headboard, which was found via my local Craigslist...


It was off-white with dusty gold accents when I got it; my dad painted it black for me and built a simple bedframe out of materials he already had (salvaged from our old waterbeds, haha). Bed presto!
So recently I got to thinking, with all the thrift store digging I do, and all the sweet items I come across that I must leave behind for one reason or another...maybe I should start grabbing these items up and offering them to my fellow vintage fiends for reasonable prices??
Once I have a decent inventory I'll be opening up shop on Etsy (ahhh, that's my current mantra). People seem to have mixed feelings about vintage goods on Etsy, but Etsy makes it clear that it is not a strictly handmade wares outlet by allowing and encouraging supply and vintage sellers. If they don't have a problem, I don't have a problem. Furthermore, vintage goods can easily be used as supplies for handmade projects. Reusing, repurposing, all that good, environmentally friendly stuff!
Hopefully by next Wednesday my inventory will have grown a little more and I'll have a sneak peek at some of the items you can expect to find for sale in my shop. Now it's my usual dilemma, coming up with a good shop name...

No comments: