Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sunday is off-topic day.

When I said off-topic, I really meant off-topic, okay?? An old roommate bought me a copy of "Earth Girls are Easy" (1989) for my birthday a few years ago, probably from the $5 bin at Wal-Mart. I didn't get around to watching it until earlier this year, and now it's become one of my all-time cheeseball favorites.
It stars Geena Davis, Jeff Goldblum, Jim Carrey, and Damon Wayans, with songs from the soundtrack by Yankovitch-esque Julie Brown.  It's probably the only movie in which Jeff Goldblum is even mildly attractive (close second being "The Fly," before he gets all gloppy).

Favorite moment: Jeff Goldblum and Geena Davis getting it on in a flurry of glitter.
Best line: "Omg, you're like totally black!"
Best dance-off: Between Damon Wayans and some club-hopping late 80's weirdo.

If you're wondering what it's about, well, that's not really important. Watch it for the awkward, "wait, am I a musical??" moments. Watch it for Geena Davis singing solo while wearing lingerie and a cheap blonde wig. Watch it because you haven't got anything better to do. Invite friends over, make some popcorn, put those boring art films you got at the library under the couch cushions, and enjoy.



No comments: